Thursday, February 19, 2015

Kindergarten Bird Posters





I've done this tropical bird poster lesson several times (here and here). I think it works well for a wide age range. So my kindergarten group looked at different colorful, exotic birds: toucans, macaws, parrots and quetzals. They could choose a horizontal or vertical format. I showed the group how to break down their birds into simpler shapes to make them easier to draw. To create dynamic compositions, I encouraged them to move their pencil to a different spot on their board for each bird - overlapping (a bit tricky for this age group) and birds running off the page were Great for posters! After they used oil pastels to add color to their line work, they painted their background with liquid watercolor. I love how different they all are! Posters are 18" X 24".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback!