Thursday, February 18, 2010

Georgia O'Keeffe Inspired Flowers

My 2nd and 3rd graders got to take a look at one of my personal favorite artists, Georgia O'Keeffe. I particularly love her flowers, painted so close up, they take on an a beautiful abstract appearance. O'Keeffe once said,"I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore it's beauty."
I had lots of close up photos of flowers for the children to use as inspiration. As large as they thought they were making them, I had them take it a step further and encouraged them to go off the page in at least 3 places. They used oil pastels to draw their flower and add details. A watercolor wash was added to the background to really set off their flower composition.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback!